Product rules are conditions which automatically add rewards (in the form of products, discounts and discounted products) to a customer's cart after they add a specified trigger product to their cart.
In this article, we'll explain how to create your first product rule.
Step 1: Create Your Rule
- From the Shopify Admin, navigate to the apps page and then into the EasyGift home screen.
- Click the "Create Rule" button, and give your new rule an appropriate name.
Step 2: Set Your Rule Type
- Your rule type sets what type of trigger you want to use. Select "Product" from the options.
Step 3: Choose Your Trigger Products
- Press the "Choose products" button to select your trigger product or products.
- After you have checked the correct trigger products, click the "Add" button.
- Now choose whether you want the rule to trigger when ALL trigger products are in the customer's cart, or a variable quantity. If you would like the trigger to be one of a range of products, remember to set the quantity to 1.
- This is useful if you only want the rule to fire when a certain quantity of the trigger product(s) are in the customer's cart.
- This option can also be modified to a certain value of trigger product(s) to activate the rule.
Step 4: Rule Trigger Options
- Rule works in reverse - if enabled, this setting automatically removes the reward product from the cart when the rule conditions are no longer met.
- Allow this rule to be triggered more than once per cart - this setting controls the number of times the offer rule can be triggered. If enabled there is the option to select a Maximum trigger limit to specify the exact number of times the rule can be applied to an order.
- Only execute the rule once per session - enabling this setting means the trigger can only be fired once per visitor session. Even if the conditions are met subsequently, the rule will not activate unless the browser cookies are cleared.
Step 5: Set Your Rule Action
- Here you can choose the action that the trigger will create. At the moment this is limited to adding products to cart but more options are coming soon!
- Next choose the product(s) you would like to be automatically added to cart when the rule is triggered. The reward product needs to be enabled for sale on your online store in Shopify, and must be in stock.
- Generally we recommend only choosing a single product variant, otherwise all variants will be added to cart.
- You can also select the quantity of the product to be added here.
- You can select a product that has zero price and we can use the settings below to protect it from excessive ordering by customers.
Step 6: Rule Action Options
- Prevent customers removing added items from the cart. You should enable this setting if you are using EasyGift to add a deposit, service charge, or other product that customers should not be able to remove from cart.
- Prevent customers purchasing these items outside of the rule. If you are adding a zero priced product to a customers cart, then we recommend you enable this setting to protect the zero priced product from abuse. When enabled, customers won't be able to add, remove or adjust quantity of the item in the cart. (Please note, this feature has been tested extensively, however we cannot give a 100% guarantee especially with non-approved themes)
Step 7: Choose Notification Options
- EasyGift can show a small notification to the customer when the reward is given. You can customize this message using your own image, text and choose where it appears in the window.
Step 8: Choose Whether To Discount Your Reward
Choose one of three options:
- Do not apply any discounts. This is useful if you are rewarding the customers with a zero-priced product in your store.
- Apply a discount using a Shopify automatic discount. To make a reward free or discounted, you need to set up a Shopify Automatic Discount after you have finished configuring the EasyGift trigger. This is done under the Discounts menu in the Shopify Admin. You should use a "Buy X, Get Y" discount, and select "Minimum Purchase Amount", entering the same amount as the cart trigger you used earlier. Under "Customer Gets" select the reward product variant used above.
- Apply a discount using a Shopify promo code. This option will automatically apply a promo code when the trigger is fired. Enter the promo code you have already configured in Shopify or a new one you plan to create. This option works well for free shipping and other similar code-based offers. However, the promo discount will often only be applied on the Checkout page and a customer will not see the reduction in price on the Cart page. As a result we recommend using a Shopify automated discount.
Step 9: Schedule
- EasyGift rules can now be scheduled to run for a chosen period of time. Select either the run this rule continuously option or setup a start and end date for your rule.
Step 10: Save Your Rule
- Remember to press save at the bottom to save your rule!
Rule not working properly? Contact support here.